BACKYARD ULTRA RULES
Delta Backyard Ultra is a foot race where competitors must consecutively run 6706 meters (aka a “yard”) in less than one hour until there is only one last finisher. When you’ve completed the yard, you may use the remaining time within that hour to recover and fuel for your next yard.
"If you're going to face a real challenge, it has to be a real challenge. You can't accomplish anything without the possibility of failure."
Gary Cantrell (aka Lazarus Lake, aka Laz), Founder of Barkley Marathons, Big Dog’s Backyard Ultra & more.
Delta Backyard Ultra rules:
- The race starts at 7:00am on Sunday, 1 May 2022.
- You will need to be in the starting corral before the yard starts, and leave when the siren sounds to signify the start of the yard (no late starts).
- Each yard will start exactly one hour after the previous yard started. You will be given 3, 2, and 1-minute warnings prior to the start of the next yard.
- Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted, including the final lap.
- Except for restrooms, you are not permitted to leave the course until each yard is completed.
- You may have as many supporters as you wish with you in Camp Delta, where you and your supports are allowed to set up camp within a demarkated area.
- There is no requirement for any compulsory gear while you are running a given yard. Headphones may be worn throughout your race.
- You may not use any artificial aids (e.g. trekking poles) or personal aid (e.g. supporter/ seconder or pacer) to assist you during your race.
- Non-competitors (including eliminated runners) are not allowed to start and run the yard with competitors.
- Your race will be over if you fail to be in the start corral before the siren sounds or if you don’t complete the yard within the given hour.
- The winner of DBU is the last person to complete a yard. If no runner can complete one more yard than anyone else within an hour, there is no winner – everyone is a DNF (Did Not Finish).
ROUTE & PROFILE
DBU's yard is an easy 6.706km route with 90m elevation +/_
1 = First yard
4 > 21.1km
7 > 42.2km
14 > CM
24 = 100m
38 = SA Rec
48 = 200m
90 = WR
Your entry includes:
- Race garment
- Goodie bag
- Camp Delta conservation fee
- Camping & ablution facilities
- Coffee & food vendors
- Limited communal nutrition station
- Marked and prepared route
- Security and medical support
- Finisher race medal
- Spot prizes
You may run a yard every hour for as many hours as you can.
Entries are available up until race 6:00 am on 1 May 2022.